QT Sync - Version History
17. Dec 07 - 0.3.3
- When combining MPG movies, QT Sync was complaining about not being able to find out the codecs (but combined the movies anyway). Fixed.
9. Dec 07 - 0.3.2
- Fixes some graphical glitches on Mac OS 10.5 Leopard.
- TC Inserter: Can now add the TC TextTrack outside the visible Picture. (This will change the Movie Dimensions, but has much better Performance. Due to a bug in QuickTime for Intel Macs, TextTracks will eat up a lot of CPU power, when they are displayed inside the visible area of the movie. Especially with movies encoded with Motion JPEG A.)
For more information open the TC Inserter Window and click on the Help Button in the window.
- TC Inserter: New "Detect" Button. If a Movie contains a TimeCode Track (MediaType "tmcd"), QT Sync can now detect the TimeCode FrameRate and TimeCode Position.
- TC Inserter: Under certain circumstances, a TC Text Track would not show up in front of the video. QT Sync now checks for the Layer information and changes it, when neccessary.
- Controller Window no longer grows when the mouse is moved over the Movie Window in "Fill Screen" Mode.
- No more "Unknown Exception while loading the Preferences File." when running a new Version of QT Sync for the first time.
- Full Screen Mode: Controller Window will no longer automatically hide when the mouse in inside the Controller window.
- Will now open .mkv ( Matroska Container - www.matroska.org ) files. Needs Perian 1.0 Codec to work ( www.perian.org ).
3. Jun 07 - 0.3.1
- Static Text Inserter: When text was entered into the appropriate EditField, the text was selected immediately. It appeared to be not possible to enter more than one letter. Fixed.
- Trying to crop a movie with a Text Track will no longer cause a "Fatal Error".
- On IntelMacs the Volume could not be changed with the ArrowUp/ArrowDown Keys. Fixed.
- Full Screen Mode: When running on IntelMacs, the MouseCursor was not invisible, but a black square. Fixed.
- Combine Movies: Can now set IN and OUT points of Source Movies.
- Full Screen Mode: Not moving the mouse will cause the Controller Window and the MouseCursor to disappear. Moving the Mouse will make them re-appear. (Apple-G to manually hide and show the Controller Window still works.)
- New Preferences Option for "Full Screen Mode": Hide Controller Window when Mouse is inactive.
- App did not launch on OS 10.3.0 - 10.3.8. Fixed.
23. Mar 07 - 0.3
- Fixed: Some of the Menus and Dialogs were in German. Switched back to English now.
14. Mar 07 - 0.2.9
- Fixed: Updating the Mac OS to 10.4.9 made the Spacebar (Play/Pause Movie) not work properly.
- Added: New Menu Shortcuts.
- Fixed: Help Texts.
- Fixed: Showing the Offset / Duration Display (in Full Screen Mode) for the first time made the movie stutter.
- Fixed: App crashed when trying to access the ContextMenu in the Controller Window.
- TC Inserter: Values are tested immediately for accuracy.
- Crop Window, TC Inserter: EditFields are selected immediately when the window opens.
- Preferences System completely rewritten.
- Crop Window: Remembers last settings. New "Cache" Mode.
- Lots of minor fixes.
- New Behaviour for the Arrows of Numerical EditFields of the "TC Inserter" and the "Crop Movie" Window:
Click in the Numerical EditFields. Use Arrow Up/Arrow Down to change the value +1/-1. Use SHIFT+Arrow Up/Arrow Down to change the value +10/-10.
Click the Arrows at the side of the EditFields to change the value +1/-1.
Hold SHIFT and click the Arrows at the side of the EditFields to change the value +10/-10.
14. Nov 06 - 0.2.8
- Finally: Universal Binary
- Changed Shortcuts: The CTRL Key will be the default key for "Spaces" of Mac OS X 10.5 . Therefore the Shortcuts for shuttling and "jumping" through the movie have changed:
SHIFT + ALT + Left/Right Arrow: Backward/Forward Shuttle
0: jumps back x seconds
ALT + 0 : Jumps x seconds forwards
SHIFT + 0: jumps 30 seconds back
SHIFT + ALT + 0: jumps 30 seconds forward
Note: Depending on your Keyboard settings, SHIFT + 0 and SHIFT + ALT + 0 will only work with the "0" key of the Numeric Block of your keyboard.
- Fixed: Display will not dim anymore while playing a movie. (Which was very annoying with energy saver settings set to dim after 5 minutes...)
- Fixed the valid file types for the Open Dialogs. It is no longer possible to load non-media files. (In rare cases this was resulting in an application crash.)
- Checks for Updates automatically (can be disabled in the Preferences.)
- New Preferences Option: Opaqueness of the offset/duration displays in Full Screen Mode.
- Change Movie Playback Speed: Changed the Name from "Change Movie Duration". New Options to change the speed: New FPS, new length or new percentage can now be entered directly.
- Quitting while playing in Full Screen Mode sometimes made the app crash. Fixed.
- Static Text Inserter: Characters were not displayed properly. Fixed.
- TC Inserter: Choose between "Insert [the given TimeCode] at current Movie Position" or "Insert [the given TimeCode] at Start of Movie". Also works for all other Modes (Feet+Frames, Framenumbers). Thanks to Mark for this suggestion.
- Cosmetic Changes (Movie Duration, Check for Updates, Controller Window)
- NOTE: QuickTime 7.1 introduced a new system to handle non-square-pixel media: the Aperture Modes. QT Sync ignores these settings. When a movie is saved, Aperture settings will not be set. Previous Aperture settings will be removed from the new movie.
21. May 06 - 0.2.7
- Added: TimeCode Inserter Mode: "30 Drop Frame"
- Added: FrameNumber Inserter.
- Added: New Preferences Option: "Save Dialogs show:" Choose between the last Directory you saved to (default Finder behaviour) or the directory of the currently opened Movie.
- Added Chapter about "Preferences" to the manual.
- Known Issue: Moving the "TimeCode Inserter" Window quickly, while "Show Preview" is turned on, can cause the Preview Window to shrink and move along . Moving the TC Inserter Window out of the screen (while "Show Preview" is turned on), can cause the window to change its height and thereby rendering the "Cancel" and "Insert" buttons unusable. This bug was introduced by Mac OS X 10.4.5.
This also affects the "Crop Movie" window. With Mac OS X 10.3.9 this issue does not occur.
Workaround: Do not move the "TimeCode Inserter" / "Crop Movie" window quickly, while the "Show Preview" Option is turned on.
9. Apr 06 - 0.2.6
- Full Screen Mode: Using the shortcuts for "Half Size" (Apple+0) / "Normal Size" (Apple+1) / "Double Size" (Apple+2) or "Fill Screen" (Apple+3), the size of the full screen picture can be changed now.
- Help Window: Added texts about "Saving" and "Files".
- Cancelling during Export: No more messages with error number -2019.
- Saving a movie with a hidden suffix: Under certain circumstances the suggested new filename was empty.
21. Feb 06 - 0.2.5
- TimeCode Inserter: 23.976 TC added.
- TimeCode Inserter: The "30 fps" mode was renamed to "30 Non-Drop".
- Changed behaviour of Info Window: Pressing Apple+W while the the Info Window is open, will now close only the Info Window, not the Movie Window.
Also, Pressing Apple+I while the Info Window is open, will close the Info Window. (= Apple+I will toggle the Visibility of the Info Window.)
- Added Warning to the "Movie Duration Change" window.
- Full Screen Mode: Added Helptag for the Console Window. ("Press Apple-G to hide me.")
- About Window: Minor Tweaks.
16. Dec 05 - 0.2.4
- TC Inserter: 29.97 Drop + Nondrop. (Thanks go to: http://www.andrewduncan.ws/Timecodes/Timecodes.html for the TimeCode Math.)
- TC Inserter: Static Text Inserter (for Version Numbers, Copyright Notices, ...)
- TC Inserter: Transparent Box
- TC Inserter: Font Faces: bold and italic together
- TC Window: Setting of "Show Preview" will be saved now.
- TimeCode Inserter, Preview Window: When the movie position was zero ( = the movie is at the beginning), the Preview Window showed not the first frame, but the second. Fixed.
- While creating a TC track, a progress bar window will pop up now.
- Full Screen Mode: Clicking into the Movie will no longer stop (or start) the movie.
- Lots of internal stuff. I hope I didn't break anything...
9. Oct 05 - 0.2.3b8
- Cleanup of Temp Folder improved.
- Save as Self-Contained Movie didn't handle file names longer than 31 characters. Fixed.
- Added: To export a movie, choose "Export…" from the File Menu. You can choose between all options (Export to QuickTime Movie, DV Stream, MPEG4, AIFF, WAVE) in the dialog. Depending on the codecs installed on your computer, you might also be able to choose other formats (XviD, 3ivx, DivX, etc.).
- Improved: "Check for updates". Older versions on the server are recognised properly. (In case a beta tester uses a newer version which is not released to the public.)
- Added: Document Icon. (In case you choose to make QT Sync your default application for movie files.)
- Added: Some Tooltips for Preferences options and windows. (Hover the mouse over the controls.)
- Added: Preference Option for adding a prefix/suffix to a Self-Contained Movie and a Export Movie.
- Added: Option to reset the preferences to default values.
- Changed: Shortcut "0" works smoother. (Movie doesn't stop while jumping back.)
- Improved: Reduced the Playback Stutter while changing the Duration of a track.
- Added: Change Movie Duration. (This is not for frame rate conversions. Just for reducing/increasing the overall playback speed.) Cosmetical changes (length information) for this function will follow.
- Changed: Info Window. All the information is now displayed on one page.
- Improved: Change Movie Duration: Speed Improvements. Now also displays the total number of frames in the movie, the actual and the new length.
- Added: New Shortcuts:
- SHIFT + 0: jumps back 30 seconds.
- CTRL + 0: jumps forward x seconds. (x can be set in the Preferences.)
- CTRL + SHIFT + 0: jumps forward 30 seconds.
- Added: "High Quality Playback" Option in the View Menu. This option forces QT Sync to use the highest quality renderers for video playback. This is especially noticeable when working with .dv movies.
This option can also be set during Full Screen Mode. (Shortcut: Shift-Apple-U)
The setting of this option is not saved with the movie.
- Improved: TimeCode Inserter will now remember some of its settings.
23. May 05 - 0.2.2b11
- Changed: "Change Ratio…" is now in the Edit Menu.
- The Movie length shown in the Info window is now updated after every offset or duration change.
- Fixed: While resizing the Movie Window, white rectangles appeared (especially on slower machines).
- Fixed: Apple Menu and QT Sync menu now also in English.
- Fixed: TimeCode Inserter - When pressing "Create" the starting TimeCode position was not correct when a new number has been entered and the cursor was still active in one of the input fields.
- Changed: The terms "MediaScale" and "MediaDuration" showed actually the TimeScale of the Track and the Duration of the Track (not the Media. Check the QuickTime documentation to learn about the difference.) Terms changed to "TrackScale" and "TrackDuration".
- New: Crop Movie (Edit Menu). Crop your movie and save the result (as always) as a reference movie.
- Changed: When the Preview Window of the TC Inserter and the Movie Cropper is opened for the first time, the preview will show the same picture as the Movie Window. The position slider will also be in the correct position.
- Fixed: "Check for updates" reported an older version as a "new version available". (In non released versions only)
- Added: New "Crop Movie" Preset: CinemaScope Common Top.
- Improved: Handling of Temporary Files. QT Sync will now take care of the proper disposal. ( No more "Recovered Files" in the Trash Can)
- Change Ratio works properly now after a movie has been cropped.
- Note: Always insert a TimeCode AFTER you have resized (with Change Ratio) / cropped a movie.
- Changed: Disabled Cropping for Movies with Text Tracks.
- Added: "Uncrop Movie" - For undoing any cropping. (also impossible for Movies with Text Tracks)
- Fixed: Previews in TimeCode Inserter and Crop Movie now work properly, when the movie is not displayed in "Normal Size".
- Improved: Change Ratio and Crop Movie now work properly with MPEG video tracks.
- Fixed: After deleting a video track, the movie window will resize properly (to show only the movie controller).
- Fixed: When inserting a TimeCode in the middle of a movie, the TimeCode was sometimes one frame off.
- Added: Feet + Frames inserter (in the TimeCode inserter window) for 35mm 4perf and 16mm.
- Improved: Several minor improvements in the TimeCode inserter window.
- Added: New Presets for the TimeCode Inserter
- Fixed: Negative TimeCode is now shown properly. (Note: Never use negative TimeCode on purpose!)
- Improved: Check for Updates now even more reliable.
- Fixed: QT Sync behaves correctly when using multiple monitors.
- Fixed: First negative Second of Feets+Frames is now shown properly.
- Changed: Shuttling. Completely rewritten. Press CTRL-Arrow and HOLD to shuttle. RELEASE the key to stop shuttling.
- Changed: Shuttle Speed Preference in the Preferences Window.
- Changed: "Export to Self-Contained Movie" is now known as "Save As Self-Contained Movie" and can now be found in the File Menu. (The Renaming was neccessary to avoid confusion with the corresponding QuickTime functions: QuickTime Player uses "Export" to describe a re-rendering)
- Fixed: When trying to apply a second cropping (which is not possible in the QuickTime structure; a track can have only one matte), QT Sync provides the option to discard the old cropping and create a new one.
- Fixed: When the TimeCode Inserter or the Crop Movie Dialog was open, it was possible to access the menus (and crash the application).
8. Apr 05 - 0.2.2b1
- Changed: "Append Movie" function permanently removed.
- New: "Combine Movies" in the Tools Menu will guide you through the process of combining up to 10 movies. The resulting file will be saved on the hard disc (as reference or self-contained).
26. Mar 05 - 0.2.1b6
- Fixed: Change Ratio Window: Clicking on "Original Size" will now show the correct ratio.
- Fixed: Full Screen Mode did not always switch back to Normal Mode when reaching the end of the movie.
- Added: "Check for updates" function. You can find it in the Help Menu.
- Changed: "Append Movie" function temporarily disabled. It is too buggy and has to be rewritten completely.
- Added: Volume of the movie can be turned up a little bit more (6dB I guess) by using the arrow up/down keys. This can lead to distortion when used on loud audio tracks. Thats why this change is only for playback and will not be saved with the movie.
- Fixed: Change Ratio: After locking a width or height value, the value disappeared under certain curcumstances.
- Changed: Import Track / Delete Track: Now the first track is always selected when the dialog opens.
- Fixed: Import Track / Delete Track: App doesn't crash with a NilObjectException when no track is selected.
- Fixed: Import Track now recognizes .mp3 files.
20. Sep 04 - 0.2.1b2
- Fixed: "Export to Self-Contained Movie" sometimes made the app crash and has been completely re-written. I also added a progressbar and better error catching.
19. Sep 04 - 0.2.1b1
- Tested: works fine with Mac OS X 10.3.5
- Added: TimeCode Inserter
This feature was a special request from the HFF film school in Potsdam, Germany. It's not very useful for people not working in the post-production industry.
Note: The inserted TimeCode is just for display purposes. QT Sync is NOT able to work in a TimeCode setup or able to synchronize itself to external TimeCode sources.
- Added: Import Track
Choose a movie file, choose a track from that movie and it will be imported into the currently opened movie BY REFERENCE. (No video or audio data is actually copied, unless you choose to export the movie as self-contained movie. So remember to keep the original movie file.)
Note: Importing of video tracks is currently disabled. (QT Sync doesn't support movies with more than one video track yet.)
- Added: Remove a Track from the currently opened movie
- Added: Append a Movie to currently opened movie
This is useful if you want to combine movies. (e.g. the movie has been seperated into several files) You can only append movies with the same movie and track characteristics. (If the movie you opened is a movie with a FotoJPEG-VideoTrack and an IMA-Audiotrack, you can only append a movie, which has also a FotoJPEG-VideoTrack and an IMA-AudioTrack.) Combining of movies with different characteristics is theoretically possible, but results mostly in movie files with playback problems.
- Changed: When entering numbers, the Popup Box no longer appears. Enter the numbers in the appropiate Field and hit Return or TAB. Then the changes will take effect.
- Fixed: When opening movies from locked volumes (or movies which are in use by another program) the temp file qtstemp.mov no longer appears on the Desktop. (It is now stored in the invisible Temporary folder.)
- Fixed: When overwriting an existing _QT.mov file (remember: you should only overwrite the _QT.mov (= the reference movie), never the original movie file itself), the old file will now be deleted properly and the new file will no longer be named "qtstemp.mov"
- Added: QT Sync's Info Window will give you now information about the codecs used in the movie.
- Changed: Look of offset/duration display in full screen mode changed (nice transparent windows
- Added: Elapsed Time / Time Left Display. In Full Screen Mode hit "T" to toggle between "Elapsed Time" / "Time Left" / "Off" .
Known Issues: When exporting or saving a movie, OS errors (volume is full, insufficient permissions, locked volume, file in use, etc.) are sometimes not handled properly.
Please verify your saved movies (eg. with Quicktime Player).
14. Jul 04 - 0.2.0b1
- Added: QT Sync can now change the length (=duration) of a track.
- Changed: Controller Window now has some elements to display the length of a track (in relative or total values)
- Added: More Shortcuts in "Full Screen with Hidden Controller" Mode:
4 - will switch between frames, msec and TmeScale Units
7 & 9 - change the duration
2 - show the actual offset values
8 - show the actual duration values
- Added: New Method for typing in numbers (a little pop-up window)
- Creator code added (Choosing QT Sync as your default application for Movies is not (yet) recommended)
- Added: Finder behaviour improved (After saving a movie, the Finder will display it immediately)
- Cosmetic change: Controller Window Resizing: nice floating effect
- Changed: Look of Info Window
- Changed: Info Window no longer closes after performing a syncing operation.
- Improved: Shuttling now works differently. Instead of increasing the playback speed, it "jumps" through the movie. This results in better performance and no sond "crackles" after shuttling.
- Fixed: "Do you want to save your work?" dialog can be dismissed by Keyboard Shortcuts now.
- Changed: Look of Preferences Window
- Fixed: The calculation of the framerate of .mpg's should now work properly.
- Fixed: Just "arming" a track (and do no other editing) will not bring up a "Do you want to save your work" dialog when closing the movie.
- Changed: Screen (almost) always flashes (instead of playing a loud system error sound)
- Improved: Look of Help Window
- Added: Change Ratio Function will now check the width and height values for multiple of 4s.
- Improved: Interface of Change Ratio Window
- Fixed: When Saving/Exporting a movie the filename was truncated to 31 characters.
- Fixed: Open Dialog showed some movie files greyed out.
- Fixed: QT Sync will now open movies from locked volumes. (e.g. CD-Roms)
- Changed: http-link in the About Box now points to www.qtsync.com
- various internal improvements and fixes
23. Jun 04 - 0.1.0b6
- Fixed: Now the fps will be detected, even if the first track is not the video track.
7. Jun 04 - 0.1.0b5
- Added: English versions of the manual and the beta tester "read me".
- Minor cosmetic changes.
7. Jun 04 - 0.1.0b4
- Added: "Change Ratio" option. (for watching movies which are not scaled correctly. e.g. .dv or some .m2v's)
- Still not working correctly: fps display of .mpg's
- Fixed: size display of mpgs
- Fixed: After trying to save, no more syncing was possible. Should work now.
- Added: automatic volume softening of .mpg's (Quicktime plays .mpg's much too loud. This resulted in heavy distortions.)
- Added: automatic volume softening (dimming) during shuttle-ing.
- Improved: Text insertion during "Full Screen with hidden Controller" Mode now responds quicker to multiple key inputs
- Added: shuttle (ctrl + left/right arrow key)
- Added: preferences option to choose a shuttle speed (2x to 9x)
- Added: use left/right arrow key to watch single frames
- Added: use shift + left/right arrow key to play 1x forward and 1x backward
- Added: use alt +left/right arrow key to jump to start/end of movie
- Added: preferences option: auto-arm first track
31. May 04 - 0.1.0b2
- "Betatester - Bitte Lesen !" changed to .rtf
- Version History.rtf added
- Fixed: File->Open (Apple-O) no longer shows .mpg's greyed out
- Changed: Shortcut for "Save As..." is now Apple-S, instead of Shift-Apple-S
- Fixed: long file names are now shown properly in the info window
- Fixed: Saving and immediate closing now no longer shows: "Do you want to save your changes?"
- Fixed: Info Window now shows the proper frame rate (thanks to some QuickTime Toolbox Calls)
- Changes: Several improvements when working with movies without a video track.
- Improved: The Text insertion during "Full Screen with hidden Controller" Mode
30. May 04 - 0.1.0b1
First public release.